Snowpack Information Exchange
For the 2012-13 winter season, the Friends of NWAC and the NWAC forecasting team have launched a new method for users to enter their snowpack and avalanche observations. Please DO SUBMIT your information - the NWAC forecasters rely on observations from backcountry recreational users as well as professionals out in the field to create their daily avalanche forecasts. Since they can't be in the field regularly, YOU are their eyes and brains in the field! Please follow these steps:
- Go to the GIS Danger Rose Map (linked in the left nav of the site, or here:http://www.wwu.edu/huxley/spatial/maps/nwac/
- Click thru the info pop-up screens until you get to the main map application.
- Zoom in the map to the general area where you observed the snowpack or avalanche you want to report.
- Click one of the 2 round icons in the top bar - the "cloud" icon is for snowpack observations, and the "mountain" icon is for avalanche observations.
- Click the blue + to open the Snowpack Observation input form; click the purple + for the Avalanche Observation form. Click the map at the location the observation was made, to "pin" the data to the correct location.
- Complete all the fields you wish to include, then click "submit".
- A colored pin will appear on the map where you created your observation.